As you know, the position of the sun is very important in shoka arrangements. To better understand the importance of this principle in Shoka we will make two arrangements – one right hand and one left hand arrangement. Remember the right (hongatte) and left (gyakugatte) are based upon their placement on the right and left side of Buddha!
- Feel free to bring two containers and two kenzans for this lesson or one container with two different but same size kenzans of 3″ in diameter.
- Multiple Type A or B container with opening large enough to take a 3″ diameter kenzan. Traditional bronze containers are suitable for the Isshuike or Nishuike arrangements.
- Pebbles to raise your kenzan to within 1/2 inch of the top edge of your container. Pebbles must be no larger than your little finger nail. We will have pebbles available for sale at all Level I lessons for $5.
- All materials will be provided.
- Check the Resources page of this website for a list of what to bring to class
- Invitation to Ikenobo – Shoka Shofutai I – pages 1-9
- Joy of Ikebana Ikenobo – pages 36-76
We arrive at 9AM and set up for class and make any necessary ginza purchases. The lesson begins at 9:30 and you are generally on your way home by 2PM and you have probably enjoyed your own bag lunch with us!