Today we will create two Shoka Shimputai designs – one regular and one futakabu ike style.
Below are examples of Shoka Shimputai Futakabu ike from our workshop with Professor Horie
Below are other Shoka Shimputai examples
- You may bring one container and two kenzans or two different Type A containers and kenzans for each. The containers should have an opening large enough to take a 3″ diameter kenzan, especially for the futakabu ike designs. Traditional bronze containers are not suitable for Shoka Shimputai arrangements.
- Pebbles to raise your kenzan to within 1/2 inch of the top edge of your container. Pebbles must be no larger than your little finger nail. We will have pebbles available for sale at all Level I lessons for $5.
- Examine the pictures above and bring a variety of line material of your own choosing. for both the both designs. Please bring enough to share with others.
- All floral material will be provided.
- Check the Resources page of this website for a list of what to bring to class
- Invitation to Ikenobo – Shoka Shimputai book
- Joy of Ikebana Ikenobo – Shoka section pages 50-59
- Any previous class notes on these two styles
We arrive at 9AM and set up for class and make any necessary ginza purchases. The lesson begins at 9:30 and you are generally on your way home by 2PM and you have probably enjoyed your own bag lunch with us!